Thank goodness for Canadian Sprinter Andre De Grasse as the boys were getting soundly beaten by our girls in the medal department at the Rio Olympics! Hopefully another one of our boys with shine tonight as World Champion Shawn Barber goes for gold in the pole vault!
As we head into the final week of the Olympics, Canada is well on it’s way to reaching our goal of 19 medals. Thanks to swimmer Penny Oleksiak, we should be able to beat it.
It’s pretty easy to pick out the Canadian highlights of these games so far:
1) 16 year old Oleksiak (who failed to quality for the Pan Am Games) coming out of no where to win 4 medals including a gold.
2) Flag bearer Rosie Maclennan defending her title on trampoline becoming the first ever to accomplish that feat.
3) De Grasse going stride for stride with the fastest man in the world and making a statement he will be the man to beat in Tokyo in 2020.
4) Calgary athletes Allison Beveridge and Laura Brown helping Canada win bronze in the team pursuit in track cycling.
5) Brianne Theisen-Eaton from Humbolt, Saskatchewan winning bronze in Heptatlon with a strong finish.
Other highlights (and lowlights) from Rio include Michael Phelps becoming the most decorated Olympian ever! Usian “lightening” Bolt being crowed the fastest man in the world for the 3rd consecutive Olympics. The green diving tank and the insane, unsportsmanlike comments from Hope Solo after the Americans were upset in women’s soccer.
As I mentioned in a blog prior to the Games, will these be the best games ever? Not a chance. But we are getting some memorable moments. I would love to hear what you have enjoyed the most?