_News Talk 770
Calgary Fire crews are getting some thanks today after people awoke to fire at the Shamrock Hotel this morning, and then found the buildings fire escape locked.
Blair Parsons was staying on the second floor of the Shamrock in the 21 hundred block of 11 St. S.E. when he heard someone yelling down the hall. When he realized the room was filling full of smoke he tried to get out but found the fire escape chained and locked. Fortunately fire crews were there and threw him a set of bolt cutters to cut the lock.
11 people had to be rescued from the hotel. 3 were treated for smoke inhalation. There's no word yet on the cause of the fire.