The Calgary Fire Department is crediting working smoke alarms for getting a family out safely after fire broke out in their home.
At about 7 o’clock Sunday night firefighters were called to the 100 block of Castlebrook Way N.E. for reports of a house fire. Smoke was visible from blocks away.
Upon arrival, crews found an adult and three children had already got out safely.
The fire was put out in a basement bedroom where it originated.
There is smoke damage to other parts of the house as well. The cause of blaze is still under investigation.
The Calgary Fire Department is reminding citizens to make sure they have a smoke alarm on every level of their home and near sleeping areas.
Test them once a month and if battery operated, change the battery once per year. Both hardwired and battery operated smoke alarms expire after 10 years and need to be replaced.
Plan and practice a home escape plan twice per year with the entire family.