Shareholders have given their seal of approval to a massive agricultural deal that would bring Calgary-based Agrium together with PotashCorp of Saskatchewan.
The merger would create a global agricultural giant worth US$36 billion.
The companies said the deal, announced in September, should bring upwards of US$500 million in annual cost savings and an expected net revenue of US$20.6 billion.
The merger is expected to close by mid-2017, pending regulatory and court approval.
If the deal goes through, PotashCorp shareholders would own roughly 52 per cent of the new company. Agrium shareholders would hold on to the remaining 48 per cent.
The company will be headquartered in Saskatoon, but will maintain a corporate office in Calgary.