Police in Calgary, Okotoks and Cochrane are warning residents after sewing pins, needles and a razor were found in candy and chocolate bars handed out on Halloween.
Calgary police are investigating after a mother reported sewing pins were found inside small-sized chocolate bars in Halloween candy picked up in the city’s northwest.
In Cochrane, Amanada Goodstoney filed a complaint with RCMP after she said she found needles in two full-sized Kit-Kat and O’Henry bars that her four kids had picked up trick-or-treating.
“It looked fine from the outside but once she opened it we found a needle sticking out of it from the back,” Goodstoney said. “We started going through the rest of the candy and we found another one.”
“I was immediately shocked, panicked and scared, then angry that someone would go out of their way to do something like that.”
The exact location where the children had been trick-or-treating is under investigation, but Goodstoney told RCMP it was on the west side of Glen Eagles.
In Okotoks, a parent reported finding a razor blade after the child “dumped his candy into a bowl.” RCMP believe it was loose in his trick-or-treat bag, collected in the Cimarron area. No one was injured.
Meantime, Blackfalds RCMP warned of a report of a child getting sick in the central Alberta community of Clive after eating a Loonie-sized orange candy.
Anyone with information in the Cochrane case is asked to call the Cochrane RCMP at 403-851-8000. Anyone with information on the Okotoks case can call Okotoks RCMP at 403-995-4202. To remain anonymous, contact Crime Stoppers.
With files from Sarah Offin