A Calgary couple accused of killing their grandson was granted bail by provincial court Judge Terry Semenuk Wednesday.
The prosecution consented to bail for Allan and Carolina Perdomo but wanted the pair to follow a list of conditions.
The Perdomos are accused of manslaughter in the death of their five-year-old grandson, Emilio Perdomo.
Each of the accused has to sign a $5,000 surety (property) before they are released.
There is a no contact order between Allan and Carolina, except through their defence lawyers to discuss the family business or family finances.
Allan is prohibited from having any contact with his three daughters.
Evidence presented during the hearing is protected by a publication ban. The case has been put over until Aug. 30.
The couple was arrested last month and charged with manslaughter.
In July 2015, Emilio was taken to a clinic and later rushed to the Alberta Children’s Hospital, where he died July 17, 2015.
He died from multiple blunt force trauma injuries. Police said he had swelling and bruising all over his body, as well as other serious injuries. According to police, Allan and Carolina told hospital workers Emilio had sustained a series of short falls.
Investigators sought input on the case from radiologists, emergency doctors, forensic pathologists and neuropathologists and received a final medical report on the file on June 30, 2016.
Police called the medical evidence “monstrous.”
Emilio’s mother in Mexico wanted him to have a better life, so she sent him to stay with his grandparents in Canada in February 2014.
Emilio was seen by a doctor about two months after he arrived in Canada and was found to be in good health.